What does ISO 27001 Clause 4.4 involve?
This clause of ISO 27001 is a simple stated requirement and easily addressed if you are doing everything else right! It deals with how the organisation implements, maintains and continually improves the information security management system (ISMS).
Records and documentation don't need to be extensive, just enough to run the organisation well in accordance with its culture and risk appetite, whilst also being able to demonstrate the effective operation to the standards and satisfy external auditors.
A Template Policy for ISO 27001 Clause 4.4
Below is an example of just how easy this clause becomes to comply with when you have joined up your information security management system. It can simply point to relevant parts of the ISMS to evidence for an auditor or other interested party that your approach can be trusted.
Example Policy for Clause 4.4
This completed ISO 27001: 2022 environment demonstrates the organisation's ISMS, in particular, the policies, controls, and requirements, and should be viewed in conjunction with the integrated work areas for maintaining and continually improving within the following areas.
- The all in one place risks, policies, controls, procedures, and regular review process, with at least annual review and independent approval workflow management.
- The ISMS Board in accordance with 9.3 that established, manages and maintains the system as well as conducts regular management reviews
- Our work on Audits in accordance with 9.2 to ensure compliance and help continually improve the system
- Our evaluation and improvement systems to meet clause 10 for non-conformance and corrective action as well as our approach to security incident management described in line with Annex A5.24,25,26,27
- Staff communications and team awareness groups for communication and engagement
- Staff and Supplier policy packs to evidence their compliance to the ISMS for the roles they perform
- Supplier Account and relationship management
- All reinforced with strategic insight, overview and reporting to show the system is working as intended